We recently held our 2016 AGM followed by an open event around sports and physical activity for disabled people. It was a great success with a good turnout, and lots of useful new connections were made between those attending.
We had talks from:
– John Laite of Yate Dippers Swimming Club
– Claire Ashcroft of Gloucestershire Disabled Skiing
– Rob Stirzaker and Alison Finn of South Gloucestershire Sports Pound
– Pete Andrews from Paul’s Place speaking about their Boccia team which plays nationally
We were also shown the SportsRush website which aims to connect people and communities to inclusive sport and physical activity – which includes a feature allowing you to search nearby activities using your postcode. They would be keen to have your feedback around the following:
– functionality (the search function, links, contact us etc)
– relevance of the tiles (blog, coaching zone, newsletters, venues, funding, community events)
– do you currently use it? If not, why?
– What else would you like to see on there?
Please respond to these points via the contact form on the SportsRush website.
The South Glos Union of Disability Sports also has a list of links here which may be of use – local and national sport and hobby related links.
Several people have also asked for details of our event catering, which was from Surplus Supper Club – a socially-responsible company which reduces food waste with profits going to FareShare South West.
Many thanks once again to those who were able to attend, and please do keep a look out for future activities from us regarding sport and physical activity. If you’d like to link up with us in this area, please do get in touch.